InicioLa escuelaOferta educativaAlumnosErasmusauladiezCorreo electrónico
Escuela de Arte 10

Since 1907, when Escuela de Arte 10 was opened, the school has teached different programmes and a thousands of students have be trained in our classrooms, and workshops.

1907 was an important date in design history. Deutsche Werknund was created, and one of its prominet members, Peter Behrens opened his office. A young architect, Walter Gropius, started to work as Behrens'assistant. In 1907 Pablo Ruiz Picasso painted "Les démoiselles d'Avignon".The Avant Garde movements started to impress cultural, and social life in Europe.

It was then when our school was opened in the same place where it is still today. As a typical example of arts and crafts institution, our school trained workers from factories near Atocha railway station. Drawing and ornament design were the main subjects in those early programmes.

Some relevant artists as Ignacio Pinazo y Camarlench staterd to teach in our classrooms and workshops. Other teachers were Fernando Díaz Mackenna, Fernando Pallarés, Ángel Díaz Sánchez, Pedro Corrales Castro, Lorenzo Albarrán, José Ordóñez, Vicente Lárraga, Eulogio Varela, José Sanz Arizmendi and Leandro Oroz. In 1915 Ignacio Pinazo was replaced by Francisco Esteve Botey, engraver and responsible for recovering Goya's Tauromaquía plates to Spain from France. He was who bought those plates and gave them to Circulo de Bellas Artes after World War I.

The increasing number of students was the reason for projecting a a new building that finally was opened in 1926. This new school was bigger and it includes some facilities not very easy to find. Specif matters as volume or drawing have enough space for the number of students were at school in late twenties.

Sadly in the mid thirties the Spanish Civil War started and all the activities in the school were suspended. Frontline of fighting arrives just in front of the school in November 1936, but ocupation forces needed three years to get Madrid.

After war was a time for recovery, and untill early sixties the country did not get a economic stability that allows for a new kind of art education. Advetising, graphic desing and illustration started to need a modern enviroment for learning. This trend was more strong since mid seventies, when political changes lead Spain to be a democracy with press freedom and a vibrant activity in visual communication and other media.

In 1984 a new structure of educational system led to a different status for our school who became a institution completely specialized in graphic design, engraving, illustration, and photography.

In this time was the first principal Vicente Viñas and after him, Juan Barreto (1985·1986), Manuel Santiago Ludeña (1986·1989), Julia Oliet (1989·1990), Damián Ripio (1990·1991), Isabel Marfil (1991·1996), Juan Pablo Villalpando (1996·2004) and Eugenio Vega (2004·2009).

After 1986, when Spain was integrated in European Union, or school started, under differente programmes, a intense contact with other European schools: Sufolk College from Ipswich; Norfolk Institute of Art and Design from Norwich; Escola Soares dos Reis from Oporto, Portugal; Fachoberschule für Gestaltung from Trier; Odense Tekniske Skole from Odense; Stredeni Prumyslova Skola Grafika from Praga; or the Grafisch Lyceum from Amsterdam were some of the institutions linked to our school.

We were awarded in 2007 with European Excelence Prize, and, in 2008, with “Marta Mata” Award, the main recognition in Spain for schools of visual arts, performing arts, and music education.

More information in Spanish language